Void

I’ve been doing some mega thinking recently – after watching Garden State and reading a book called The Shape of My Heart. I thought it was a girly booked from the title and the pink cover and the theme of love. But it wasn’t. I liked it a lot though.

Anyway, to my point: voids. [BTW this is going to be emo, you have been warned]

There’s a theory that we all go through live trying to fill a void inside us. We all do different things for this – relationships, hobbies, jobs, holidays, etc. to try to fill this void. Everyone’s is a different size to start with, or at least we notice them to a different extent. I think I like this theory. And now I am trying to work out what my void is wanting. To be fair, this means very little to how I live my life. I just now don’t mind that there is a void. I feel more normal about it now it has a name, and it appears to be experienced by other people. It’s all just fine and dandy.

I do worry that what I think will help fill my void won’t. I think I know what I want and need. I don’t know how to get it – it’s not something that I can have any control over. But what if I’m wrong?

But that’s not worth worrying about really. I just do occasionally, usually just for about 5 minutes. I like having an occasional wallow.

The phrase “help fill my void” is ridiculous.

1 comment:

Rosy / Michael said...

My word, you're blogging like a mad'un, aren't you?!

This void thing seems both reasonable and a little trite -- yeah, so most of us feel unfulfilled most of the time. Just nature's way of making us go out and actually do anything.

Personally, though, I reckon I've got a huge void :D